[PROPOSED] Horatio-class Frigate

The place to ask questions, share information, and discuss specifications such as starships, starbases, shuttlecraft, runabouts, and starfighters with the Department of Research & Development.

Moderator: Fleet Council

Postby Arcos » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:43 pm

=== Horatio- Deck listing ===

Deck A: Captain's Quarters, Xo's Quarters, Captain's Mess
Deck 1: Bridge, Ready room, conference room 1, conference room 2, Crew Quarters, Upper Nacelle Maintenance Access (1,2)
Deck 2: Fore Weapons Arrays(secured), VIP Quarters, Science Labs, Quad-Fusion Power Drive, Armory standard weapons locker, Armory heavy weapons locker, main engine(warp) Aft weapons arrays Array, Deflector Control
Deck 3: Crew Quarters, Crew Dinning, Exercise/rec rooms, Med bay, Holo-imaging
Deck 4: Transporter room 1, Transporter room 2, Cargo bay, Holodeck 1, Holodeck 2, Brig/holding cells shuttle bay, Lower nacelle Maintenance Access (1,2)
Deck B: Officer's Mess, Senior Officer's Quarters
Arcos

Postby Arcos » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:45 pm

=== Personnel ===
Crew: 40
Occupancy: 44
Maximum Occupancy: 76 (+14 Cargo bay, +6 brig, +2 Command, +2 Senior Officers, +8 VIP)
Shuttlebay: 2 Type VI shuttle pods, 4 worker bees
EV Suits: 18 Enviromental suits (3 air locks)
Escapepods: 38 (2 personnel max)

=== Engineering ===
Quad-Fusion Power Generators
Mk VI Standard Warp Core
auxiliary power storage
Mk VI Dual Deflector/Shield Device
2x Personnel Transporters
1x Cargo Transporters

=== Science/Medical ===
2x General Labratories
Medical Deck: Deck 3
Deflector control (two access points):
1. Deflector/shield access, auxiliary tractor beam
2. Tractor Beam access, auxiliary deflector/shied
2 Holodecks: (Engineering Modeling + Astrometrics/stellar Cartography)

=== Tactical/Security ===
2x Armory weapons lockers
3x Brig holding cells
2x Mk VI Fore phase Arrays
1x Mk VI Fore Photon Torpedo launcher
2x Mk VI Aft Phase Arrays
Arcos

Postby Iluvar » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Moderator Note: Split original topic by forum user Arcos into separate proposals, one for each starship class.

Arcos wrote:
Horatio Class - Frigate:

http://www.orbitronz.com/tabletop/fedfrigate/
Iluvar

Re: [PROPOSED] Horatio-class Frigate

Postby Iluvar » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:31 pm

This looks like a great start to your proposal for the Horatio-class Frigate. It has been some time since someone outside of the Department of Research & Development has brought forward a starship design for consideration. I particularly appreciate the work you've done to develop deck listings and operating statistics as it is not always easy to accomplish this with new starship designs, especially ones we've never really seen on our television of movie screens before. We will surely get the nitty-gritty of hashing out statistical details later. Still, the work you've put into this so far is to be commended. I would certainly love to see more.
Vice Admiral Iluvar
Frequent Community Visitor
Eighth "Horizon" Fleet
Iluvar

Postby Arcos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Could the Horatio work as a Engineering Support Craft?

4x "worker bees" and three EV suit interlocks the Horatio could hang out around starbases and shipyards as a repair team. If the Huron went with, the two would work for support craft... Huron a tow ship, the Horatio a engineering core ship. Course, the Huron would have more fire power, but less crew.

They would be Frigates I guess, not terribly large compared to the other frigates... maybe my sizing is off... I will check out crew quarters at 10 meters or so a spot... so far my estimate was: (LxWxH)

Horatio: Frigate (Engineering core) - 145 meters x 90 meters x 35 meters

Huron: Heavy Frigate ("Tow Truck") - 130 meters x 60 meters x 80 meters

Developed @ Alpha Centauri Yards
First Proposed: 2287
Rejected: 2289
Re-designed: 2320 - Experimental: NX 2701 Horatio (Huron class frigate believed to have a better chance of survival when paired with a smaller frigate)
In Use: USS Ying Ti, USS South Carolina, USS Ragtime, USS Flapper, USS Charleton, USS Georgian, USS Gregorian, USS North Carolina
Mothballed: USS Horatio, USS Mercutio, USS Trident, USS Sea serpent
Destroyed: USS Iverson - 2345, USS Baltimore - 2346

(I made this up-- some ships may already be around. I'll look through this more later.)
Arcos

Postby Arcos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Arcos

Postby Iluvar » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 pm

It appears from the information you've provided that we are looking at a starship design first introduced during the late twenty-third century (otherwise known as The Movie Era - TME) with most of the vessels having been phased out, replaced, or destroyed by the middle of the twenty-fourth century. This means we will have to be looking at everything through the lens of that time period in Federation Starfleet history.

One challenge this presents is that our starship classifications (i.e. Corvette, Frigate, Cruiser, etc.) are based on starship designs of the mid to late twenty-fourth century. This means the Horatio-class could be classified as a Frigate even though it does not meet the official length requirements just as the refit Constitution-class design is classified as a Cruiser even though it does not meet the official length requirements. In other words, we may not have to worry about adjusting the starship classification for the Horatio-class unless it doesn't make sense relative to other vessels of the time period (i.e. refit Constitution-class, Excelsior-class, Miranda-class, etc).

That said, I don't think I would have any issue considering the Horatio-class as a possible Engineering Support Vessel. When I think of the kind of vessel you're describing, I imagine an image from the 2012 Ships of the Line calendar found here. I know it does not necessarily match the shape and design of your proposal, but it does appear to be serving in more of a support capacity to the nearby Ambassador-class starship. Is this sort of what you had in mind for the Horatio-class design?
Vice Admiral Iluvar
Eighth "Horizon" Fleet
Iluvar

Postby Arcos » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Sort of... I think the vessel shown probably does similar tasks. I am confident that hull configurations could be changed to reflect the shown vessel...
Arcos

Postby Arcos » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Did you want a word document with the decks on a hexagonal map-like layout?
Arcos

Postby Iluvar » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 am

While I appreciate the offer, I would say we probably don't need to go quite so far as to have visual layouts for each deck at this point. For one thing, our primary starship database does not currently have the capacity for displaying such information, nor have we made it our practice to include visual layouts within the wiki articles for starships, starbases, and other installations. I can see you've been very thorough in providing us with statistical information, specifications, and deck listings as well as establishing at least a brief description of vessel history, purpose, and usage.

Having considered both the Horatio-class and Huron-class proposals thus far, I believe we are looking at information that will more than likely be used purely for historical reference rather than actual simulation play, based on the era in which these vessels served their prime. That said, I would ask you to consider whether it is your desire to see these vessels approved for official use in our community or merely as simulation reference. This will help me to understand how best to approach each of your proposals moving forward.
Vice Admiral Iluvar
Eighth "Horizon" Fleet
Iluvar

Postby Arcos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:52 am

Historical reference?

I am not really sure. Honestly, I was just kind of bored when I put them together. I have some sketches of Klingon Vessels I could submit too... I am still working on those. Thank you for the criteria at the least, I hadn't thought to do some of the reference points until after your criticism.

thanks again,

Arcos
Arcos

Return to Specification Design Team